25 Oct 2016
25 Oct 2016
Petition launched to save the New Art Gallery Walsall; Galerie Perrotin to open a Tokyo space
- A petition has been started opposing the proposed closure of the New Art Gallery in Walsall, UK, with artist Bob and Roberta Smith warning that the move would be a ‘complete and utter disaster for the arts in Britain.’ The former artist-in-residence at the gallery – designed by Caruso St John and shortlisted for the Sterling Architecture Prize when it opened in 2000 – said closing it could encourage other councils to sell key cultural sites. Walsall Council said it is looking to close the gallery due to ‘continued austerity’.
- Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin will open a space in Tokyo next spring. The 130 square-metre space in Tokyo, in the downtown district of Roppongi, is being designed by the Hong Kong architect André Fu. Perrotin opened spaces in Hong Kong in 2012 and Seoul earlier this year and will move from its Madison Avenue space to a 2,300 square-metre space at 130 Orchard Street, opening in 2017.
- The Mayor Gallery in London has filed a lawsuit against the company behind the Agnes Martin catalogue raisonné. The authentication committee rejected 13 works owned by gallery clients which the gallery says are legitimate.
- Vasif Kortun will step down from the directorship of SALT in 2017. The exhibition and research platform in Istanbul and Ankara, is expected to appoint associate directors of research and programs, Meriç Öner, as his successor.
- The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art is to receive $900,000 from the Walton Family Foundation to help digitize the archive’s collections. The grant will be distributed over the course of three years and in three $300,000 instalments.
- Berlin’s KW Institute has announced its programme for 2017 under new director Krist Gruijthuijsen. The institution is current closed till 19 January 2017 for refurbishment, which will allow greater autonomy for the institution and the Berlin biennial, which is based at the venue and directed by Gabriele Horn.
- Selldorf Architects will undertake the renovation of New York’s Frick Collection. The firm, led by Annabelle Selldorf, has designed a number of siginificant New York art spaces, from the Neue Galerie to David Zwirner.