08 Sep 2017
Weekend Reading List
8 Sep 2017
The politics of the choco-pie, a materialist account of ‘cultural appropriation’ and Acid Corbynism: what to read this weekend
- What would a materialist account of ‘cultural appropriation’ look like?
- From issue 189 of frieze, out now, read Brian Dillon on revision and revolt in the work of Nairy Baghramian.
- With the escalating crisis on the Korean Peninsula, it’s worth revisiting Richard Lloyd Parry’s brilliant LRB essay from 2013 on the history of the Sunshine Policy (and the brief role of the choco-pie), and the complex web of bad faith on all sides: 'the rest of the world has always found more important things to be taken account of in North Korea than the lives of its inhabitants.’
- Alex Ross on John Ashbery’s fascinating, esoteric taste in music.
- Meeting Stuart Hall’s eyes in Taiwanese artist Ting-Ting Cheng’s sound installation at Iniva, London.
- And what is Acid Corbynism?