Weekend Reading List
Airport futurism, Gramsci’s best wishes for the new year and making China great again: what to read this weekend
- ‘A movie that flamboyantly hates the conditions that made it possible’: Rob Horning on The Last Jedi.
- The director of the Institute of Race Relations, editor of Race & Class and Sri Lankan novelist Ambalavaner Sivanandan has died at the age of 94. Colin Prescod recalls how, ‘in the babel of our time, Sivanandan’s has been the voice in the wilderness’.
- Don’t miss Evan Osnos on how China’s Xi Jinping took advantage of the ‘strategic opportunity’ that emerged with the Trump era.
- We were sad to hear the news about the passing of Betty Woodman – do revisit our 2016 interview with the American sculptor from the frieze archive, where Woodman talks about ceramic histories and modern painting.
- Happy New Year from Antonio Gramsci.
- And finally, all that is solid melts into airports.