06 Apr 2018
Weekend Reading List: The Millennial Whistleblower’s Clothes
6 Apr 2018
What to read this weekend: secrets of the magic lantern, ‘Soul of a Nation’ in Arkansas, and China’s bleak democratic prospects
- ‘Just as environmentalists demand that the fossil fuel industry ‘leave it in the ground,’ the ultimate demand to be levelled at Silicon Valley should be ‘leave it in our heads.’ William Davies unpicks the Cambridge Analytica story.
- And Alice Hines wonders what whistleblower Christopher Wylie’s outfits are trying to tell us.
- ‘The difficulties are those which remain invisible’. For our new series ‘Women in the Arts’, writer and curator Andrianna Campbell shares her experiences of working in the arts.
- Ricky Jay pays tribute to two late masters of the magic lantern.
- At a time when China shows us how capitalism and authoritarianism can go hand in hand, with the state considerably less democratic than two decades ago, Eli Friedman and Andi Kao on prospects for democratic change.
- And what does ‘Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power’ look like in Arkansas?