‘Who Do You Think You Are?‘: Barbara Kruger Takes Over Los Angeles
Untitled (Questions) is a public art commission by Barbara Kruger spearheading Frieze Week LA
Frieze is pleased to collaborate with artist Barbara Kruger for an exciting public art project Untitled (Questions), realized throughout the city for Frieze Week LA from February 10 to February 16, 2020.
A series of 20 questions composed by Kruger such as ‘IS THERE LIFE WITHOUT PAIN?‘ or ‘WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?‘ will be installed outside a number of prominent art spaces, civic landmarks and public centers across the city, on digital billboards, light pole banners, murals, print and digital media.
Organized by Frieze Los Angeles Executive Director, Bettina Korek, the project brings Kruger’s provocations/interrogations, which are indeterminate and open to subjective interpretation, into physical proximity with the public.
‘We are extremely honored to have collaborated with Barbara on the Frieze Week campaign, her work stands on its own and speaks for itself. This project trusts that in an age of distraction, people still pay attention. It’s quintessential how her choice of words balances directness and ambiguity, how they invite a viewer to read into what is being asked as well as what isn’t. We are so grateful to the partners who have collaborated with us to bring this iconic, iterative, thought provoking project to sites around the city.’
- 179 Street Banners across the city (with Los Angeles Tourism and Convention Bureau)
- Street Banners across West Hollywood (with West Hollywood Design District)
- Digital Billboards at 8410 and 9039 Sunset Blvd. (with the City of West Hollywood)
- Digital Billboard/Marquee at 3900 W Manchester Blvd, Inglewood
- Eight Digital Billboards around the stadium the Banc of California Stadium at 3939 S Figueroa St (with LAFC)
- Mural for NeueHouse, Hollywood at 6121 Sunset Blvd
- Mural for The Standard, Downtown LA at 550 Flower St
- Lightboxes with transparencies, with questions in English and Spanish at Union Station at 800 N Alameda St for Metro art (on view from February 13)
Frieze Los Angeles takes place at Paramount Pictures Studios, February 14-16, 2020.