22 Mar 2016
22 Mar 2016
The Lahore Biennale appoints an artistic director and London's Design Museum sets an opening date: a round-up of the latest art news
- Indonesia’s first modern and contemporary art museum is set to open in Jakarta in 2017.
- Artist Rashid Rana has been appointed as the artistic director of the inaugural Lahore Biennale in Pakistan, which will take place in 2017.
- The founders of the Dhaka Art Summit will open a new arts centre in northeast Bangladesh in 2018.
In the States:
- New York-based gallery and bookstore Karma is moving from the East Village to a temporary location on the Lower East Side.
- The Guggenheim Museum in New York is set to announce newly commissioned works by seven artists and collectives from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- The National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. has received a USD$30 million grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
In the UK:
- The Design Museum in London will open its new space in November 2016, having spent GBP£83 million on the redevelopment of the former Commonwealth Institute building in the west of the capital.
- Phyllida Barlow, Steve Claydon, Helen Marten and David Medalla have been shortlisted for the first Hepworth Prize for Sculpture.