23 Mar 2018
Weekend Reading List: The Meaning of ‘Toughen Up’
23 Mar 2018
Instagram influencers’s minimalist ploy, democratizing the art world and camp’s radical potential: what to read this weekend
- Tatum Dooley unpicks how Instagram influencers deploy a minimalist aesthetic: ‘Minimalism, or pseudo-minimalism, turns out to be a handy undercover vehicle for consumer obsession: aesthetically pleasurable, and suggestive of high-minded austerity, it obscures its own extravagance. It signals virtue while suggesting that beauty and the good are one and the same.’
- Don’t miss Huw Lemmey writing on camp’s radical potential.
- ‘Men have to toughen up’, Jordan B. Peterson claims. Pankaj Mishra investigates the dark roots of the psychology professor’s intellectual populism.
- After #MeToo and #NotSurprised, it’s time to democratize the art world’s workplaces, write Miya Tokumitsu – that means scraping away the centuries-old mystiques of the studio, museum and gallery, and treating ‘places where art is made and shown as workplaces.’
- ‘Do you have any ectoplasm? Is it vaginal?’ Charlotte Higgins on the world of Linder.
- And nobody knows anything about China.